Discover to the awesome world of lilies! With over 100 species, lilies are some of the most diversely colorful and dramatic blooms you can find. They are also one of the most popular flowers in the world. Steeped in cultural symbolism that goes back centuries, lilies are cherished and revered by many. We like them because of their striking beauty and awesome sweet fragrance!
Lilies meanings vary across different cultures, but commonly, these amazing blooms represent grace, royalty, beauty, and rebirth. As with other flowers, their symbolism can also be dependent on their color as detailed below.
- White lilies symbolize purity, virtue, and innocence.
- Pink lilies symbolize abundance and prosperity.
- Red lilies symbolize love and passion
- Orange lilies symbolize confident, wealth, and pride
- Yellow lilies symbolize joy, thankfulness, and good health
Quick Lily Facts
- Lilies are a flowering plant that grow from bulbs.
- “True Lilies” belong to the genus Lilium.
- When the flowers bloom, they are large, colorful, and often fragrant.
- True Lilies all have 6 petals and 6 stamens with anthers (oblong pods that contain pollen).
- Lilies are common in weddings and wedding bouquets as well as other regal ceremonies.
- Lilies are poisonous to cats, so keep your furry friends away from them.
- There are nine divisions, or categories, of lily types.
- Lilies are known for being one of the longest-lasting cut blooms with a long in-vase lifespan.
Lily Classifications & Examples
Pink Pixie Lilies
Division 1: Asiatic Hybrid – Most popular lilies in the world. Come in almost every color but have little to no scent. Attractive and long-lasting. (Tango, Forever Susan, Orange Pixie Lily, Elodie Lily, Lollipop)
Turk’s Cap Lily
Division 2: Martagon Hybrid – Dramatic, visually interesting, producing many small dainty downward-facing blossoms. Flowers can be numerous 40-50 per stem and strikingly colored. (Turk’s Cap)
Division 3: Candidum Hybrid – famous for the Madonna lily that has a lovely fragrance white flowers and a yellow base. Up to 20 blossoms per stem. (Madonna)
Division 4: American Hybrid – Includes hybrids of wild lilies in North America. (Tiger Lily)
Division 5: Longiflorum Hybrid – Easter lily and hybrids are with elegant pure white and trumpet-shaped. Bloom during Easter. (Easter Lily)
African Queen Lily
Division 6: Trumpet and Aurelian Hybrids – Tall and elegant with fragrant flowers with stunning trumpet-shaped flowers. Popular Cut Flowers, lush, large trumpet-shaped flowers and heady sweet fragrance. (African Queen)
Division 7: Oriental Hybrid – Known for large, robust, upright flowers. Flowers that fall in this class have large blooms and great scents. Strong, enchanting fragrance. (Stargazer, Casablanca, Acapulco Lily)
Orange LA Hybrid Lily
Division 8: Interdivisional Hybrids – hybrids of the previous seven divisions.
Wild Yellow and Red Lily
Division 9: Species – pure, wild “parents” of the previous 8 hybrids. Wild lilies that are the ancestors to all of the other classes.Natural and delicate beauty. Charming.
ALWAYS A LADY
All the Lily Love
Hopefully, by now, you love lilies as much as we do! Their diverse shapes and vibrant colors make them truly special. It is no wonder the lily is one of the most popular flowers in the world and is cherished in most cultures. Brighten someone’s day by sending them a bouquet of fragrant lilies or order them for yourself – you deserve it! Phoenix Flower Shops has a great selection of just the perfect floral bouquet for any occasion. Check out our selection of lily bouquets and other beautiful floral arrangements now.