Join Phoenix Flower Shops as we celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8
We love celebrating holidays here at Phoenix Flower Shops and one of our favorites is International Women’s Day which takes place every year on March 8. Although it doesn’t quite share the same notoriety as many of the other holidays, its significance and message are certainly no less important.
The observance of International Women’s Day dates back to the early 1900s, but the global holiday’s growth in popularity over the past decade has helped it evolve into a worldwide celebration of social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women around the world. IWD is not country, group or organization specific and belongs to all groups collectively.
Unlike many other holidays where the same traditions are celebrated year-after-year, International Women’s Day features a new theme each year to highlight an important issue and raise awareness in order to help drive positive change for women and accelerate gender parity across the world.
This year’s theme is #PressforProgress which spotlights gender parity. The World Economic Forum predicts the gender gap won’t close entirely over the next 200 years, so International Women’s Day provides an opportunity for ground-breaking action that can drive greater change for women and speed up the clock on gender parity.
This year’s observance is a terrific opportunity to celebrate the achievements of women as well as a chance to take action to help raise visibility and awareness in order to help drive positive change for women and accelerate gender parity around the world. We can all do our part in helping drive better outcomes for women by becoming responsive and responsible leaders in creating a more gender-inclusive world.
World-renowned feminist, journalist and activist Gloria Steinem once said, “The story of women’s struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organization but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights.”
How to get involved
- Together we can all play a role in promoting women’s issues and rights, especially for women in developing countries. One of the easiest ways to get involved is by sharing the #PressforProgress hashtag on social media posts and encouraging your friends and followers to join in the festivities.
- Purple is the official color for IWD, so simply wearing a purple shirt or ribbon is a great way to show your support.
- There are numerous festivals and gatherings planned for IWD and you can check the International Women’s Day event page to see a full list of activities in your area.
- Consider donating time or resources to women-focused charities or groups
- Volunteer to set up your own IWD campaign. Materials and instructions can be found here.
- Most importantly, just speak out and make your support known!
Even if you don’t want to get involved in organized IWD events, the day itself is still a great opportunity to celebrate a special woman in your life by acknowledging their hard work and sharing their stories. A small gift, like a beautiful bouquet, is always an appropriate way to show your gratitude and the smile is causes can make a big difference!
- This post has been tagged: